Wounds1.com: Great Information, Real Community, Better Living.
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Wound News
Feature Story
Wounds Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
Wound Assessment
Pressure Ulcer Center
Skin Care Guide
Nutrition Guide
Dr. Wayne Caputo  Uterus
 Hero™

Dr. Wayne Caputo:
Revolutionizing Treatment of Ulcers.
About Heroes
 Join the Discussion in  Our Forums
 Community
Wounds1 Forums
 Reference
Ask an Expert
Locate a Burn Center
Reference Library
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Search the Body1 Network
October 27, 2021  
FORUMS: Read-Only

>
Topic Title: Possible MCL injury
Created On: 01/29/2002 08:56 PM

05/12/2004 10:35 AM

Author Icon
Newfie

Well, if all you do have is an MCL injury then your pretty lucky insurance wise. These injuries heal on their own but you have to treat it correctley. If your knee is still swollen, I suggest you start putting ice on it, and rest yourself for a couple of weeks (meaning don't go out and play sports...or go snowboarding!). Once the swelling goes down and your leg starts feeling more stable, start swimming (it's a big help!) You can also start doing leg strengthening excersizes on weight machines, and focus a lot on the quads and hamstrings. These muscles help support your knee. Whatever you do, don't underestimate your injury, even if you start to feel better don't get cocky on your feet, it take 6-8 weeks for an MCL to heal, maybe even longer. You should also make sure that you have not damaged anything else in your knee like your ACL or cartlidge. MCL injuries are sometimes coupled with other injuries to your ACL, meniscus etc. Good luck!
 01/29/2002 08:56 PM

Author Icon
ErinHuppertuser16052

I am a 20 year old female. I hurt my knee approximately 12 days ago while snowboarding. I heard a pop and now have pain on the medial side of my left knee. This pain has receeded considerably since the accident, but still resides when I extend the leg fully or try to flex it beyond 90 degrees. There is instability on the medial side (I believe yielding a positive valgus test). My physician didn't say much other than to return if I still felt pain 2 weeks later. Based on his less than stellar diagnosis and patient care, I am leary to return. I believe that I have a degree 2 MCL injury but want to avoid MRI's and OSs if possible to to financial reasons. Are there any stregthening exercies that could speed recovery? I have access to a pool and a weight room 7 days a week. Any help or insight you can offer is much appreciated!

Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2021 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.