Wounds1.com: Great Information, Real Community, Better Living.
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Wound News
Feature Story
Wounds Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
Wound Assessment
Pressure Ulcer Center
Skin Care Guide
Nutrition Guide
Dr. Wayne Caputo  Uterus
 Hero™

Dr. Wayne Caputo:
Revolutionizing Treatment of Ulcers.
About Heroes
 Join the Discussion in  Our Forums
 Community
Wounds1 Forums
 Reference
Ask an Expert
Locate a Burn Center
Reference Library
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Search the Body1 Network
September 20, 2021  
FORUMS: Read-Only

>
Topic Title: Incompletely Healed Incision @ 4 months?
Created On: 07/23/2006 12:29 PM

06/21/2013 04:06 PM

Author Icon
Cher777

I realize this is an older post, and I hope everything is now okay.

Piling bills are never fun, especially piling medical bills. I have a close family member who went to one medical facility after another for almost one year in the hopes of relief before she was diagnosed with Lyme disease. Sadly, the bills are many.

Yet, I would I would definitely have an incision that is not adequately healed after four months evaluated by a doctor. Actually, in a sitution such as this, you can not be too careful.
 07/23/2006 12:29 PM

Author Icon
Kimann

On April 4th I had a distal fibula osteotomy, fixation with plate & screws. Healing progressed well, no complications. On June 21, the as the final cast was removed, a 3 cm scab stuck to liner, (The balance of the incision and staple entries now closed and hardening), left hanging by a few threads. Same stuck to boot liner, pulled off @ removal of boot for bathing. Open wound, 3 cm long by 1 cm wide, superficial fascia evident in center. Over the month, I have washed with soap and water only, dried, dressed in sock and CAM boot. I didn't bandage initially, thinking I'd invite infection with the hot, moist environment. Minor weeping and granulation would cause it to stick to my sock, so I began bandaging. No topicals, just a dry bandage. Most evenings, I take an hour or two on the sofa or in bed and let it air out. If I feel damp, I change the bandage, wiping it with a moist rag and patting it dry. At present, it has healed to a 1cm wound, and applied dermis layers, but remains moist, spongy, with unremarkable, but present, odorless seepage. It blends into its periphery, which is now pink scar tissue. I have concerns about the fact that it has not closed. I don't wish to provide an environment for infection. I have done numerous searches, and am unable to find sufficient info to assess whether I need to add another visit to my pile of bills, or can safely wait and let my body do its job. I suppose I'm questioning whether the fact that it is healing, however slowly, is enough? Is the current rate of healing normal for a month after reopening a wound of that size and depth ? How much risk is there in bandaging, vs leaving it to the mercy of my sock? Anyone with any experience commenting will be much appreciated.

Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2021 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.