anyone else with CVI? What to do for it.

< REFRESH >
Topic Title: anyone else with CVI? What to do for it.
Created On: 05/16/2001 09:15 AM

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

09/12/2004 06:00 PM

Author Icon

I believe there are many out there who are more competent to answer your question. However, during my recent check up I dicussed my venous insufficiency prob with my Dr he told me the least invasive way to keep a disease'condition under control is the best way to go. In my case, the wearing of compression stockings is working, along with diet and exercise. So I guess I am fortunate. Of course I have to wear more substantial stockings than I did two years ago and if the disease progresses I might have to get into something I can't stand to wear, then I might have to look at a more aggressive treatment. Right now wearing compression stockings doesn't cramp my lifestyle too much. I'm a guy in my 60's I guess it's like having to wear glasses, the thicker they get, or the more wearing them interfere with ones lifestyle, that person might take a hard look at lasic surgery. I have a good friend who has real serious leg vein problems. He recently consulted about a laser proceedure to treat his veins. The Dr told him the proceedure might be effective for a while but he eventually will have to consider stripping, which is a six week recovery, and he would need to wear some type of compression hose anyway, and how many veins can one afford to lose?. The important thing I have learned, this vein thing can get nasty if we don't take precautions. So get good advice, and good luck with your decisions. Sorry if this ran on too much. Hope it helps.
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 09/12/2004 06:00 PM

Author Icon

I believe there are many out there who are more competent to answer your question. However, during my recent check up I dicussed my venous insufficiency prob with my Dr he told me the least invasive way to keep a disease'condition under control is the best way to go. In my case, the wearing of compression stockings is working, along with diet and exercise. So I guess I am fortunate. Of course I have to wear more substantial stockings than I did two years ago and if the disease progresses I might have to get into something I can't stand to wear, then I might have to look at a more aggressive treatment. Right now wearing compression stockings doesn't cramp my lifestyle too much. I'm a guy in my 60's I guess it's like having to wear glasses, the thicker they get, or the more wearing them interfere with ones lifestyle, that person might take a hard look at lasic surgery. I have a good friend who has real serious leg vein problems. He recently consulted about a laser proceedure to treat his veins. The Dr told him the proceedure might be effective for a while but he eventually will have to consider stripping, which is a six week recovery, and he would need to wear some type of compression hose anyway, and how many veins can one afford to lose?. The important thing I have learned, this vein thing can get nasty if we don't take precautions. So get good advice, and good luck with your decisions. Sorry if this ran on too much. Hope it helps.
 09/09/2004 10:14 AM

Author Icon
Kathyg1010

What type of surgery did you have?
 09/08/2004 03:28 PM

Author Icon
Kathyg1010

I too have been told take your lasix and wear these stockings. Exercise does seem to help, but I can't do that all the time. I read an article about VNUS Closure that describes some of my symptoms (swelling, tightness, tingling), but most of what I read also had to do with folks who have varisoucs viens. Would this procedure work for?
 03/30/2004 05:06 PM

Author Icon

I was diagnosed with CVI two years ago and was prescribed medical compression stockings. My symptoms have not progressed beyond slght swelling in my lower leg, some protrusion of the veins in my lower legs, a tired heavy feeling in my legs. Wearing the stockings virtually eliminates the syptoms and gives me a sort of refreshed feeling in my legs. I have also been able to reduce 30 pounds and have about 20 more to get off. I do agressive water aerobics and do a lot of fast paced walking. I would appreciate any further ideas on keeping CVI from getting the best of me.
 03/30/2004 05:06 PM

Author Icon

I was diagnosed with CVI two years ago and was prescribed medical compression stockings. My symptoms have not progressed beyond slght swelling in my lower leg, some protrusion of the veins in my lower legs, a tired heavy feeling in my legs. Wearing the stockings virtually eliminates the syptoms and gives me a sort of refreshed feeling in my legs. I have also been able to reduce 30 pounds and have about 20 more to get off. I do agressive water aerobics and do a lot of fast paced walking. I would appreciate any further ideas on keeping CVI from getting the best of me.
 03/28/2004 01:58 PM

Author Icon
Briann575ca

I have been treating this condition for over 20 years and can probably offer you some ideas on how to live with CVI. I saw your letter in Wounds1. It is not unreasonable for you to be able to minimize your symptoms. If interested, then you can email me with an update:
 03/28/2004 01:43 PM

Author Icon
Briann575ca

You have an impressive history of venous problems. Since all venous ulcers are due to venous pump failure, you should be aware that isometric (not isotonic) compression can reverse this failure immediately it is applied. If you are interested I will be happy to explain further.
 03/28/2004 01:36 PM

Author Icon
Briann575ca

If you had doppler performed while you were lying down, it cannot reveal reflux which is the essence of vein disorders. After that you will require "venous flow mapping" which shows the details of the reflux and all of the abnormal origins and connections.
 03/28/2004 01:32 PM

Author Icon
Briann575ca

You still have pain because surgery only removed part of the problem, leaving the hidden reflux deeper in you leg. Venous flow mapping will show you what abnormal veins were left behind. When you elevate you are dumping the reflux into the deep venous system. Reflux is an irritant and causes the symptoms of varicose veins.
 03/28/2004 01:26 PM

Author Icon
Briann575ca

You will get a false negative ultrasound result for "reflux" if the test is performed when you are lying down. This is because the blood will only flow backwards (i.e. reflux) when there is gravitational assistance as in standing. But more valuable: you need "venous flow mapping" which describes all the pathological pathways. This is the definitive test for venous disease because it shows/describes the details.
 07/23/2003 10:44 AM

Author Icon
perennial

I have the same symptoms as you. Had an ultrasound and the vascular doc told me I didn't have any reflux. Had a lot of swelling in my calf which my regular doc was concerned about. Told her the vascular doc said I had no reflux so she set me up for MRI to find out abut swelling. I then called to get my records from the vascular doc and when I got it it said that I had deep vein incompetence in the left leg. when I called to ask about this the tec who did the ultrasound said that it was very very slight reflux thats why the doc probably didn't mention it and he didn't think that was causing swelling. Nothing on the MRI and I wasted my money because I think it is causing it. My calf is swollen about 1/2 inch. Interested in what I can do about this, docs are no help!!! I have been taking horse chestnut which does seem to help a little.
 06/01/2003 01:13 AM

Author Icon
jmonicap

I'm interested in hearing from others who have had COMPASS treatment done through Vein Clinics of America. I have looked into it, but not begun treatment yet. How was your experience? Has it eliminated your vein problems? Did you experience any reoccurrance?
 03/30/2003 04:54 PM

Author Icon
glen532

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM,SURGERY HELPED TO GET RID OF SOME PAIN ,BUT WHATS MOST HELPFUL TO ME WAS WEARING COMPRESSION STOCKINGS AND KEEPING LEGS ELEVATED... BUT PAIN NEVER HAS GONE COMPLETELY AWAY. IVE HAD PROBLEMS IN MY LEFT LEG FOR SEVERAL YEARS[SEVERE CVI,DVT,SWELLING AND ULCERS]
 03/30/2003 03:33 PM

Author Icon
M21532

Hello, I was once like you. I have had my veins treated non-surgically by a company known as Vein Clinics of America, and I can tell you that your symptoms will go away if they are related to the broken valves in your legs. They use an advanced form of sclerotherapy and are leaders in the non-surgical management of venous diseases. I have had both of my legs treated, had no complications, and my pain, swelling and aching are gone. I in addition had resolution of my restlessness too. Check out their website if you are truly having those symptoms you stated. Their website is www.veinclinics.com. Their research is available on-line, and they have 18 clinics across the country. Best wishes.
 03/27/2003 11:27 PM

Author Icon
gloria4917

I have been diagnosed with venous insufficiency and they told me the valves in my veins were shot. I do not have varicose veins but the pain is really bad. I had a doppler test done and they didn't find any clots but I just don't know what the heck is going on because my leg hurts bad. I try not to pay attention to the pain and my leg is swollen about two centimenters. The vascular doctor said he could do some surgery and remove the superficial vein but he wasn't sure if that would take the pain away. Help does anyone else have these type of symptoms?
 02/18/2003 06:36 PM

Author Icon
user16443

For info on the magnetic sleep pad go to www.magneticosleep.com. As far as the exercises are concerned, I've found it helpful to determine exactly where the reflux is occurring and exercise the muscles that would contract on the deep veins in that specific location. Search the web with the keywords "Venous Anatomy" and I think you'll find a site has some very detailed info. I think those are the words I searched for but it quite some time ago. In my case, there was reflux in the common femoral vein and also at the main valve at the groin. I worked on my hamstrings and adductors (light weight, high reps) and my latest duplex scan showed less severe reflux than the previous scan. Do not work with heavy weights as this can cause unintentional breath-holding during exercise which is counterproductive. Do high reps (100-200) every day. While this may not fix the problem, it can provide some symptomatic relief. I no longer get the tight cuff feeling around my ankle with the compression stocking the way I used to. This indicates to me that I have managed to reduce the amount of swelling that takes place. Good luck to your husband. If you would like to get a sleep pad, reply to this post with your emaiul address and I'll contact you. I was so impressed with the product that I became a dealer. Please keep in mind that there is no clinical evidence as yet to support any claim that the sleep pad will help the veins.
 02/17/2003 10:36 PM

Author Icon
glen532

just to let every one know i made it thru the reevaluation and they deceided in my favor....................................
 01/09/2003 12:11 PM

Author Icon
cj13929

I too would like to know more about the magnetic pad....?? We'd try anything for my husband. Thanks for heads up on exercises - I'll make sure he adds them to his routine! Just so worried he will get an ulcer - sounds like it can be so hard to heal them. Do they have anything in the works for fixing VCI? What other alternative healing have others tried?!
 01/09/2003 12:10 PM

Author Icon
cj13929

I too would like to know more about the magnetic pad....?? We'd try anything for my husband. Thanks for heads up on exercises - I'll make sure he adds them to his routine! Just so worried he will get an ulcer - sounds like it can be so hard to heal them. Do they have anything in the works for fixing VCI? What other alternative healing have others tried?!

Bookmark and Share

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Wound News
Feature Story
Wounds Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
Wound Assessment
Pressure Ulcer Center
Skin Care Guide
Nutrition Guide
Dr. Wayne Caputo  Uterus
 Hero™

Dr. Wayne Caputo:
Revolutionizing Treatment of Ulcers.
About Heroes
 Community
Wounds1 Forums
 Reference
Ask an Expert
Locate a Burn Center
Reference Library
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2019 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.

test