< REFRESH >
Topic Title: Caring for someone...
Created On: 01/10/2001 11:22 AM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

10/04/2002 07:47 PM

Author Icon
Haddock

Hi, I can understand where you all come from I have been caring for my quadriplegic brother for about 18 yrs. And that hadn't been to bad til he got a pressure sore near his scrotum in the crease of his leg and since May I haven't had much of a life it has been horrible. For one thing he had never ever had a pressure sore and I really didn't know how bad these things were til he got his and now that he has this he has to be put in bed every 2 hours and he can only be up for 2 hours at a time. I have a family of my own and trying to take care of them and being there for them is hard and caring for my own home has been crazy. I'm a stay at home mom but with helping take care of him I think I would rather be working outside the home. We now have a nurse come in but all she does is check on the wound and leaves so she really is alot of help. My mom and me are the only care givers for him and for two years I have been the therapist and the bather and the one that gets him out of bed all day, cause two years ago my mom had hip replacement and even though everything went well for my mom she still can't do any lifting like she did before. So I just wanted to say to you all just stick there and hope for the best with everything. I just keep telling myself its for your family and isn't that what families are for. Well good luck to you all.
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 05/10/2001 09:38 PM

Author Icon
notshown

Hi Jay: Boy can I relate to what your saying. Last July my Dad had unsuccessful open heart surgery. He came home with a pressure sore on his heal. We've been treating it since. He has no circulation in his leg therefore, it's an extremely slow process. At one point they sent him for hyperbaric treatments which really helped in the healing process. however the insurance company cut it because it's so darn expensive.While my Dad was in the hospital his wife had a stroke. needless to say I just don't have a life anymore. I spend all my time caring for one or the other. I guess I wouldn't have it any other way but, it gets depressing and occassionally I feel used and abused. What can you do....nothing,he's my Dad and I love him, so I give it my very best shot. Carylann
 05/10/2001 09:38 PM

Author Icon
notshown

Hi Jay: Boy can I relate to what your saying. Last July my Dad had unsuccessful open heart surgery. He came home with a pressure sore on his heal. We've been treating it since. He has no circulation in his leg therefore, it's an extremely slow process. At one point they sent him for hyperbaric treatments which really helped in the healing process. however the insurance company cut it because it's so darn expensive.While my Dad was in the hospital his wife had a stroke. needless to say I just don't have a life anymore. I spend all my time caring for one or the other. I guess I wouldn't have it any other way but, it gets depressing and occassionally I feel used and abused. What can you do....nothing,he's my Dad and I love him, so I give it my very best shot. Carylann
 01/11/2001 09:43 AM

Author Icon
Sarah9241

It is very difficult. My father broke his hip and his hospital stay and rehabilitation was complicated by bedsores, and he didn't recover properly. It has been a nightmare.
 01/10/2001 11:22 AM

Author Icon
notshown

I am caring for my elderly mother, who has a number of health problems, among them, pressure ulcers on her sacrum and backs of the legs. It is so difficult adding this onto the list of other problems she has...is anyone else feeling this way?
 01/10/2001 11:22 AM

Author Icon
notshown

I am caring for my elderly mother, who has a number of health problems, among them, pressure ulcers on her sacrum and backs of the legs. It is so difficult adding this onto the list of other problems she has...is anyone else feeling this way?

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Wound News
Feature Story
Wounds Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
Wound Assessment
Pressure Ulcer Center
Skin Care Guide
Nutrition Guide
Dr. Wayne Caputo  Uterus
 Hero™

Dr. Wayne Caputo:
Revolutionizing Treatment of Ulcers.
About Heroes
 Community
Wounds1 Forums
 Reference
Ask an Expert
Locate a Burn Center
Reference Library
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.