Topic Title: Venous Leg Ulcers
Created On: 02/01/2010 07:50 AM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

05/18/2010 01:44 PM

Author Icon
hillaryhoffman

Hi Mwalimu,

It can certainly be difficult to decide on a course of action when there's a lack of reputable doctors to give you advice. To treat a bacterial infection with antibiotics, it's helpful to know what type of bacteria are present in your ulcer. Different antibiotics are active against different types of bacteria (which is probably why the tetracycline did not work for you, while the generic gentamicin did).

There have been some studies about using honey to treat leg ulcers, but the results are not all very promising. Also, the studies that found that honey was effective used a special type of sterilized honey, not the normal type you buy in a store. As this article says: "It could be disastrous if people treated wounds with ordinary honey, because it has not been sterilised or standardised,” warns Dr Cooper. “Clostridia bacteria, present in some honeys, can cause gangrene.”

I would suggest that you focus on trying to find an appropriate doctor and antibiotic for your infection. Good luck!

REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 02/01/2010 07:50 AM

Author Icon
Mwalimu

Hi I am a 61 year old male who has been suffering with leg ulcers for over the past year; I live in Kenya where I have to say the affordable medical treatment available leaves a lot to be desired, unless you are wealthy and can afford private medical treatment. I was diagnosed with DVT about 2 years ago which, because of the swelling caused lesions on the skin which became infected and then developed into leg ulcers. The first doctor, (well I assume he was a doctor) told me to use tetracycline, this was of no use whatsoever, so after 6 months of this I decided to look for alternative treatments. I started with gentamicin ointment fortunately there was a generic version available in Kenya because the branded version is simply not affordable, this seemed to help some what, well at least it stopped them getting any larger and cleared up any infection, but unfortunately the supply of this antibiotic is no longer available here, and I can’t find an alternative ointment so I am taking flucloxacillin, and I have started a new treatment after browsing the WEB, I am trying honey. I have only just started using it so I cant say yet if it is going to be useful. I would be interested to hear form anyone who has used this type of treatment for leg ulcers.

REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Wound News
Feature Story
Wounds Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
Wound Assessment
Pressure Ulcer Center
Skin Care Guide
Nutrition Guide
Dr. Wayne Caputo  Uterus
 Hero™

Dr. Wayne Caputo:
Revolutionizing Treatment of Ulcers.
About Heroes
 Community
Wounds1 Forums
 Reference
Ask an Expert
Locate a Burn Center
Reference Library
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.