< REFRESH >
Topic Title: Supplements
Created On: 01/04/2001 09:55 AM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

06/25/2013 09:14 AM

Author Icon
Cher777

The elderly sometimes need supplements to keep them healthy, particularly if they are not eating a balanced diet. Ensure Plus Complete Balanced Nutrition Drink seems to be a good product because it helps seniors maintain body weight and also provides them with needed nutrients. Naturally, getting the proper nutrition can better hasten wound healing. Even so, I believe this product contains folic acid, a synthetic form of folate. I have read articles that assert folate is much preferred over folic acid. Still, sometimes we have to pick our battles. If an elderly individual needs nutrition, Ensure seems like a good way to get it.
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 11/28/2003 12:03 AM

Author Icon
LoRayne

The most optimal protein to use in a geriatric population is Liquid Amino Acids. It by practically by passes the digestive process with no stress to the kidneys. For the older population, or someone who is trying to heal a wound and is younger it is the cleanest protein to use.
 11/27/2003 11:57 PM

Author Icon
LoRayne

Zinc, like any mineral is difficult for the body to break down. Especially if the mineral like zinc is in a crude form,i.e. Zinc Sulphate. Add to the fact it's being doled out in 220 mg dose(100 mg or more is considered toxic). There is a better way to deliver Zinc. Preferably, in a pre-digested form Gluconate,asporotate,citrate. With smaller doses, 30mg TID after meals. I have had great success w/ this amount and no nausea, emesis, or other symptoms.
 03/31/2003 01:30 PM

Author Icon
nele

Just be carefull with to many protein. It might cause kidney problems, especially elderly people are at risk.
 12/03/2002 04:16 PM

Author Icon
nplaurie

Vitamin C is important in wound healing. Also, Zinc 220 mg a day. This along with a multivitamin, increased protein, and adequate hydration will promote healing.
 10/04/2002 08:08 PM

Author Icon
Haddock

protien is a big thing to healing a wound and eating lots of it but my brother drinks a protien drink it is tasteless and odorless it is made by resource and its a instant protien drink you can go to Novartis.com and you will find alot of different things on there good luck
 10/03/2002 04:15 PM

Author Icon

does a regular multivitamin supplment really help in wound healing?
 08/24/2002 12:39 PM

Author Icon
judi10918

With frequent leg ulcers it's a good idea to take a multivitamin with minerals and vitamin C also Carnation Instant Breakfast is an inexpensive nutritional supplement or Ensure, wich is a little more costly. This is of course if she isn't Diabetic.
 01/10/2001 11:32 AM

Author Icon
notshown

My grandmother loves the Chocolate flavor!! She calls it her chocolate shake!
 01/10/2001 11:32 AM

Author Icon
notshown

My grandmother loves the Chocolate flavor!! She calls it her chocolate shake!
 01/08/2001 10:24 AM

Author Icon
notshown

There are a ton of products on the market, I think it's a mostly trial and error. Read the labels to make sure that they are providing adequate nutrition, and as for the taste-- well just try them out and see which one tastes the best. Most of them come in different flavors, like chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry.
 01/08/2001 10:24 AM

Author Icon
notshown

There are a ton of products on the market, I think it's a mostly trial and error. Read the labels to make sure that they are providing adequate nutrition, and as for the taste-- well just try them out and see which one tastes the best. Most of them come in different flavors, like chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry.
 01/04/2001 09:55 AM

Author Icon
notshown

My mother is a 68 year old woman who suffers from CVI and has had frequent leg ulcers. Her doctor suggested taking dietary supplements to help her add nutrients to her diet. Can anyone suggest supplements that provide nutrition and taste good.
 01/04/2001 09:55 AM

Author Icon
notshown

My mother is a 68 year old woman who suffers from CVI and has had frequent leg ulcers. Her doctor suggested taking dietary supplements to help her add nutrients to her diet. Can anyone suggest supplements that provide nutrition and taste good.

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 Wound News
Feature Story
Wounds Technology
Real Life Recoveries
 Education Center
Conditions
Procedures
Wound Assessment
Pressure Ulcer Center
Skin Care Guide
Nutrition Guide
Dr. Wayne Caputo  Uterus
 Hero™

Dr. Wayne Caputo:
Revolutionizing Treatment of Ulcers.
About Heroes
 Community
Wounds1 Forums
 Reference
Ask an Expert
Locate a Burn Center
Reference Library
Video Library
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2017 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.